Thursday, April 26, 2012

Rock On

 As I lay in the grass one recent morning before dawn it came to me, "Mother Earth is a rock that is always On."  This was quickly followed by 'The heart is a rock that is always On.'

Gives new meaning to "Rock on," doesn't it?
-Dawn, The Good News Muse  26 April 2012

The Lengthier Story .... 

As I lay in the grass one recent morning before dawn it came to me, 'Mother Earth is a rock that is always on.'

This thought just happened as they sometimes do. I didn't know its origin but personal experience knew its truth. I remembered a year ago when I thought I was dying of some undiscovered illness. I was in the country and felt compelled to go outside and lay on one specific rock.  I didn't know why and thankfully I didn't have to know why this particular evening.  Upon lying on the rock, I immediately felt it take my weariness.  In a couple of minutes, I sat up a changed person.  (In this moment, I'm reminded of the tomb in which Jesus lay and wonder what power that rock had in his state of change.)

I also thought of the Hopi sculptor we met three years ago who sculpted Kachina-like pieces from stone.  As we stood admiring his work, he shared his process. As he honored a stone and gave his energy over to it, the stone in turn shared its energy with him.  I recall a sense of the sacred in this man's process and also thought, 'This is how it works with Mother Earth.'  As we honor Her, she honors us.  She gives her energy and she takes our energy. 

Mother Earth is always On.

This particular morning as I lay in the grass, I also thought, 'The heart is a rock that is always On.'

I came into the world with a heart that was 'on.'  I suspect we all do and yet in time our hearts get battered and bruised.  One of my earliest memories is of my mother finding me crying one night with my head under my pillow so I couldn't be heard.  I was in first grade.  My tears were for a classmate.  My heart was On and over time my accumulated sadness, mine and what I absorbed of others, became so great that my heart came to feel more like rock than alive.

I still recall confiding in my intuitive friend Maryann that I could not feel my heart. I described it as being like a stone covered in moss.  This was a most beautiful image she said but it didn't feel beautiful to me.  I felt disconnected and odd reading books on following my heart.  'What was wrong with me?' I thought. How could I follow my heart if I could not feel my heart? 

Then in France three years ago, I was walking the steps traveled by pilgrims in Rocamadour and saw a wall that made me gasp. I saw a wall of stone covered in moss and suddenly knew I was seeing my heart.

Maryann was right.  My heart of stone protected by nourishing moss was indeed beautiful.

I find hope, comfort, joy and yes, heart, in this for I'm reminded that in times seeming harsh and hard there is always beauty.  We need only stop to sense, hear and see it.

Can you feel the beauty available today as Mother Earth is used in such unconscious ways?  Yet we can in any moment turn our attention toward her in thankfulness and praise and She feels it. She feels the vibration of grateful hearts.  She longs to feel our grateful hearts. 

Mother Earth is On.  The Heart is On.  My heart is On.  What about yours?

This gives new meaning to the phrase "Rock On."
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 26 April 2012

No comments: