Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hello World, Hello Neighbor

This morning as I ran past the post man's vehicle I said, "Hello, Neighbor."  I quickly followed up with, "I feel like you're my neighbor."  We laughed and he said, "Hello."

Usually neighbor's reserved for the person living next door, nearby or just down the street. Carl lives in a bedroom community yet he's a daily part of my world which feels neighborish to me. 

I was reminded of my father who was also a post man.  Many of the people paying respects at his funeral were from his country rural route.  They shared stories of his kind deeds as their mail carrier. 

In small towns everyone's a neighbor and interestingly the internet makes the world seem smaller every day. 

My interaction with Carl this morning makes me want to think of the world as my neighbor.  Maybe Mr. Rogers was onto something.

What might shift if I considered the world as my neighbor?
-Dawn, The Good News Muse 10 April 2012

No comments: