Saturday, February 1, 2014

Touchdowns and Touching Down - The Power at Our Fingertips

The thought of touchdowns in the soon to be seen Super Bowl reminds me of touching down, not the landing of an airplane but the landing of my hand in down not long ago.  I stood on the road side holding an owl surprised to feel the softness in the downy feathers nearest its still warm body.  I didn't know it in the moment, but something about the owl's down awoke my sense of touch.   

Later that day when I reached to stroke Bogey my cat's fur I knew this in my fingertips and then again when I drove along gently pulling my hair.  My sensory self was awake as I had not been prior to the owl.

The feel of flannel sheets this morning awoke that sense again. 

Of the millions of tiny nerve endings just below the skins surface, we've 2500 nerve receptors per square centimeter in the hand or @ 1,000 per square inch if I'm doing correct math.  The point is this is a LOT of nerve endings gifting us with touch, our tactile sense.

How is it the word tactile refers to touch yet it's kin to tactic and tactician connected to the military, war and strategy?  How is it our instrument of touch, the hand, is also connected to killing and war?

Touch wipes tears away.
Touch pulls the trigger of the gun as well as the bomb dropped by a remote plane.
The touch of a held hand conveys "You're not alone. I'm here."
The touch of an angry hand conveys control instilling isolation and fear.

How is it a multitude of modern hands today may be more aware of the touch of metal and plastic on keyboards and touch screens than skin? What are the potential long term consequences of typing and texing unaware of touch?

Touch holds the capacity for healing and harm.

Likewise the word down has so many associations other than football and feathers.  This week the stock market was down.  The suggestion of the economy taking a down stirs fear allowing for the manipulation of the masses.  There's down as in unhappy, a normal condition of living, yet commercials tell us to go to our doctor and ask for the latest medication.  There's down as in the opposite of heaven, the hell I grew up fearing as a child, and last but not least 'down there' code for penis and vagina, one of the reasons the child I was feared hell.

And as we in the Northern hemisphere experience winter, Nature hangs out down in the mystery of dark Earth, for rest, rejuvenation and imminent rebirth.

I am grateful for this Mystery coded in nature, words and the birds, especially the owl, waking me to the power of words and the sense of touch in my fingertips. It's down brings me home to who I am and back around to the Super Bowl.

I invite you to join me whenever you think of it today and epecially in the coming hours.  I invite you to put your hands together in prayer, meditation, ho'oponopono (whatever you do) and touch through spirit and love all the souls affected by sex trafficking and violence this weekend. 

Super Bowl weekend is one of the heaviest weekends, if not the heaviest, for sex trafficking.  Men and women in organized crime and trafficking rings ship women, girls and boys to the cities around the Super Bowl for sexual services.

Join me. Let's put our hands and hearts together and ask for loving healing for all involved in trafficking.  Ask that it come to light increasingly in our country and our world and that ALL involved be healed of shame, the shame of being abused, used and violated as well as the shame of being the person who uses a stranger sexually.

We can touch so that humankind is collectively touched and lifted so that ultimately down there, the womb and vagina, are honored and experienced as the sacred vessel, the container of life, and the places of pleasure http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowlthat they are.  

Imagine the Shift of waking up to how you use your hands and the sense of touch, of living life aware of the power in and at your fingertips.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse 1 February 2014

No comments: