Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I Sing You In On This Journey

Last week I unexpectedly gave myself numerous gifts on my birthday. I stimulated the economy of good will, gratitude and joy. The gifting started with my telling everyone it was my day and thanking them for being here on Earth. I didn’t exactly tell everyone, but I did tell most folks I met that day starting with my chiropractic ‘family’ and ending with a shout from my car to a friend in front of Whole Foods who I had lost track of a year prior.

In between these exchanges, I told the woman at Wild Birds Unlimited where I buy bird seed that I appreciated her sharing this journey with me and was especially grateful she cared for our feathered kin. I likewise told the two young women at the cat shop where I make purchases that I appreciated their being part of my bigger community here on Earth at this time and thanked them for the many cats and kittens for which they find homes not to mention having found my dear little Bogeysattvah there the year prior. I felt like an emissary for Mother Earth sharing gratitude with her kin as they care for her children.

I felt pure joy. It was in the midst of this joy that I gave myself another gift. I spontaneously invited my favorite family and a girlfriend over at 8:15 to sing in my birth. The plan had been to enjoy a quiet French meal with Jerry at a local restaurant. Being a Gemini, plans change. The singing idea like a shooting star crossed my mind in the middle of a massage. I came home, made two calls and what unfolded was beautiful. Actually my friends thought they were joining me for cake, but quickly jumped on board when they heard my request of them.

At 8:00 Wednesday evening, seven of us including Ella and Lily, ages 9 and 6, told the real story of my birth how I arrived here on a star and a flying animal from the Harry Potter series. Then at 8:15 the group sang me into being introduced first by Lily’s surprising three second introductory soprano solo of “Aunt Dawn” and Ella’s trumpeting my arrival on a blade of grass. It was like hearing church bells and angels at the same time. My only regret is I didn’t record it so I could replay it before falling asleep at night.

I in turn sang their names to them in gratitude for their joining me on this journey.

After champagne and cake, we called my mother and sang a thank you to her. There were cheers and hoorays of “You did it.” “Way to go.” “You delivered.”

This was especially important to me because earlier that morning she had shared the cliff notes of my birth. I’ve known for a long time that she lost so much blood during the process that not only did she have to have an emergency transfusion from my father but that she really didn’t want to have much to do with me for several days. Heavenly angels, two aunts and a grandmother, Earth angels, loved on me in this time.

In this recent retelling I grasped a new detail as my mother shared how the morning of my birth she knew she was going to have me that day. She said she walked up the street, a slight incline toward her parents home, dressed in her pink maternity blouse and skirt telling neighbors with excitement and anticipation that she was going to the hospital to have “her baby.” I was her first. She had been given no information on childbirth and was totally unprepared for what lay ahead. How many women of her generation lived in a similar vacuum without knowing it?

Twelve hours later, she didn’t want to ever have another baby. I have heard these facts prior. I have imagined her trauma. I have felt sad for me. I have felt sad for her. Yet in this retelling, I heard for the first time my sweet mother’s anticipation and elation along with her innocence turned to deep disappointment and pain.

And though her heart is resilient and she grew to love me dearly and have two other children, our cheering and celebrating her over the airwaves was a healing gift offering my mother a new experience on a personal level.

I also imagined afterwards that it was a gift on a quantum or larger level, a healing of threads in the invisible web connecting people around the world who have experienced such sudden loss of innocence and as a result carry fear, disappointment and a resistance to life.

Now days later, I still the hear the voices of my friends to me and me to them and us in turn to my mother tingling and tickling the web connecting us as its threads vibrate and shine with joy.

And as I sang my friends in to join me, I sing you in on this journey. Hear me singing your name then spinning around or snapping my fingers for good measure because you are needed and wanted here. Mother Earth and her children, the animals, the green and growing things, the blue and flowing waters, the soaring sky need you and so do I. As I shared with so many last week, I thank you for being here on Earth during these times. Thank you for what you do to make Earth a more loving, harmonious place. Thank you for joining me here in Heaven on Earth. Love, Dawn and Mother Earth
-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 2 June 2010

1 comment:

LeisaHammett said...

Oh, Dawn, this is so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes and I'm sharing. Thank you. What joy.