Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Real Power in the Blood

(This story will inspire some and trouble others. Please try to read on if you're one of the troubled ones. -Dawn)

Today I'm cooking lunch while "There's power in the blood, power in the blood" sings through my mind. I don't know about you, but songs come through regularly, old ones from tv sitcoms, 80's disco hits and the more I try to make them go away, the more they insist they'll stay.

"Power in the blood" became imprinted while in church in early childhood days from what the "Smoke on the Mountain" cast refers to as the "blood medley." (Great show if you've not seen it.)

I'm cooking squash, # 3 and 4 plucked from the little raised bed, hearing "There's power in the blood." This time rather than let that one phrase continue through my mind, I sang on "..... in the precious blood of the lamb."

In church of course, the lamb referred to Jesus. Today I thought, "The lamb represents innocence." This is when the cascade started that some will find discomforting. I find profound.

I heard myself think, "The innocent children dying and being harmed, through torture, sex trafficking or enslavement....their blood is the blood with power in it."

"The blood of a cow, chicken or pig being inhumanely treated by agribusiness, led to slaughter for the monetary benefit of CEO's and shareholders, that animals blood has power in it."

"The life blood of Mother Earth gushing, gushing in the Gulf, killing dolphins, birds, fish, whales, impacting the National Treasure that is the Gulf, that blood, oil has power in it."

The blood of the vulnerable has great power in it because one day a man or woman is going to see that blood from a young girl's vagina whom he or she has just raped and Wake Up.

The CEO whose game plan crams domestic animals into concrete, dark, hot barns to fatten them for slaughter is going to wake up to the blood of those animals that is on his or her hands.

One day, one day soon I pray, an oil CEO will glimpse a dying animal on tv or better yet dare hold one in his arms and know there is a better way.

For weeks, I've wrestled with stories pertaining to the vulnerable because of the many email petitions I receive on behalf of children, impoverished people, the Appalachian mountains, lions, bears, wolves, domestic animals, the rain forrest and now the Gulf. The petition gets signed but the stories end up incomplete and in a pile on my desk because I cannot hold the tension of even thinking what's this all about.

Today I glimpse the reason. There is a gift in vulnerability! The vulenrable in our world, on our planet allow us choice. They are really the ones of strength! Through them we are offered the opportunity to either wake up to the highest, greatest capacities of our hearts and minds or to sleep.

One day, one moment, maybe now ... someone's stone, hard heart is just beginning to crack so the love within will begin to break free. Then like dominoes in a change, I mean chain reaction, the chains will break and loving change as we have not seen in centuries will break free!
-Dawn! The Very Good News Muse, 27 Juen 2010

No comments: