Friday, July 1, 2011

What Happens to Us? Seems We Humans Could Learn from the Wolves

While cleaning piles from my desk or maybe more honestly organizing the piles so I can now go through them, I came across a calendar I forgot I had, a calendar filled with photos of wolves, red wolves, Mexican wolves, Artic and gray wolves.

I look at these animals and see such soul. I can't throw this away. So I turn to July where three wolves lay curled in a pile much like I see my cats at times entangled with one another.

The caption reads: "The social bonds formed by playing, eating and sleeping together as pups remain strong and help keep wolf packs functioning as tight, cohesive family units."

My first thought is, 'What happens to us?' Human children know how to play together and even if they have disagreements usually hurt feelings are temporary and play resumes.

What happens to us? What interferes with our play, eat and sleep time?

Swing set and sandbox play quickly turns to competition as parents end up more upset than their children during t-ball, little league and basketball games. Indoor play revolves around a hand held game or circling up before the tv to watch a team play which just isn't the same as kick the can, volleyball, hide-and-seek, badminton and croquet. (Of course psychologists working for corporations may be determining right now how to make a buck off sponsoring your family playing yard sports.)

As for meals, we eat on the run seldom sitting at a table to actually talk and share the days events. And as for sleep, some people take pills to sleep while others take pills to stay awake. Caffeine keeps many revved through the day (guilty at times) only to fall doze in front of the tv at night (not guilty since I seldom watch tv).

I don't mean this judgmentally. I just find it curious that these animals, the source of such conflict and tension as many want to hunt them in the wild, are so beautifully bonded in childhood and adulthood. Seems we humans could learn from the wolves.

* Federal officials want to remove protections for wolves in 29 states. I appreciate your clicking on the link for Defenders (the gifters of my calendar) and signing their petition. The wolves and I thank you.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 1 July 2011

No comments: