Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Mother, Forgive Us For We Know Not What We Do"

(This Musing was originally posted May 10, 2010 after Nashville flooded and as the Gulf continued to fill with oil altering ocean life life and animals in the numbers of which we will probably never know. Mindful that the one year anniversary of that explosion is today April 20, I recalled this piece and continue to wonder how many crises it will take to alter us and our lives so that we are aware and appreciative of Mother Earth's deep love expressed through her plant and animal kin.)

Over the past few months, a particular Bible verse has crossed my mind. Something close to Jesus’ words as he died, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" have periodically crossed my mind.


I’ve actually heard: "Mother, forgive us for we know not what we do."

I would think this odd except the words or prayer have come to mind as I've thought of the string of recent environmental crises the first of which was the earthquake in Haiti followed by those in Chile, Turkey, China, Mexico and recently in Chile again. During this time there was a deadly coal mine explosion in West Virginia, the volc
ano eruption in Iceland then the oil rig explosion and resulting ongoing oil leak in the Gulf. This was topped off most recently by the Middle Tennessee floods.

Yes, I have thought, "Mother, forgive us for we know not what we do."

I have ignored the words of my inner voice until last week.
Within days of the deluge in Middle Tennessee, a friend sent me an article regarding deep oil drilling. I had naively assumed off shore drilling meant going however many feet to the ocean's floor and presto there one found oil just beneath the earth's crust. Instead I learn that once we get to the ocean floor, we have the capacity to drill into the earth 18,000 to 30,000 feet or the equivalent of three to six miles give or take a few feet. I have often used the phrase "raping the Earth" but the image of drilling into Earth’s skin 3-5 miles is staggering. We truly are penetrating Mother Earth, raping her to sustain our way of life.

And like so many Mothers she is patient, patient with her children as we argue, debate and yes, set aside one day, the coming Earth Day, to celebrate her bounty and beauty.

"Mother, Forgive us for we know not what we do."


It is quiet and I hear:
I do.
I do forgive you.
I am Love.
You are each love too.


-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 5/11/10
Reposted 4/20/11
dawn@imaginetheshift.com


No comments: