Thursday, August 21, 2014

My Mail Box, My In-Box and the Farting Boom Box - On What Do You Place Your Attention?

"No experience is ever wasted. Everything has meaning."  
- Oprah (from a recent Starbucks chai sleeve)

I had been curious as to the meaning and metaphor of the randomly occurring farting noises in my house when Oprah confirmed what I believe.

No, Oprah didn't knock on my door and literally confirm what I believe but yes, you did just read, "farting noises" and we didn't have a ghost or gas.

This random sound first occurred as I squatted in the kitchen about a month ago.  I laughed aloud and wished for a witness other than the cats.  The sounds continued periodically for several days and finally occurred when Jerry was home.




We laughed.  We laughed a lot and I eventually found the farting boom box we bought in Sedona years ago.  We like to hike in Sedona though many people go there to experience the energy of the red rocks or on a New Age quest.

To look at our mail, one would think our new age is old age which could make the episodic farting machine quite appropo.  I consider age a matter of attitude and heart. I am an old soul who most days is going on 8 in spirit even if my body at times suggests otherwise when I first get out of bed.

Like most children, I am curious which is why I truly had been wondering why after all these years
had the farting machine decided to intermittently work.  Was it suggesting I was at risk of becoming an 'old fart' as Jerry's mother refers to the elderly men in her town?  Or did I just need more laughs?

Why had this gadget decided to spontaneously work?

Then I went to see Kelly a massage therapist who I had not seen in months.  I scheduled thirty minutes for her to specifically work on my feet.  At the end of the half hour, she asked if I had time for her to work on my neck.  She intuitively felt a need to be at my neck.

I agreed so she started by holding my head at which point she exclaimed that my right brain energetically was huge. She asked if I had been writing.

That's when I heard myself say, "No, actually I'm backed up."

As soon as I heard myself utter that line I began to laugh.  Immediately I recognized the farting machine's symbolism.

What proceeded to happen for the following 24 hours was even funnier and on point.  Thanks to Kelly's intuition and an energetic technique she used, I got back on a creative roll and the machine did as well.  That day and the next as I sat at my computer upstairs, farts echoed from downstairs.

As I let go and wrote, the boom box seemed to "let go" as well.

Life continually requests my engagement.  It's up to me as to where I place my attention.  If I place my attention on my in-box and mail-box, what's next is incontinence, falling down and being unable to get back up, the end of the Earth, gloom, doom and yes, flatulence.  I prefer living from my intuition and what gets my attention or calls to me, rather than from what I'm told to fear.

I prefer to place my attention on a farting boom box and the simple signs offered up as clues and cues as to why I am here and the next step I'm to take.  Although I do not do this 24/7, what I experience and know is my life unfolds best when I listen then do what comes next without having to know where next is leading me.  I am learning to let go as I am continually offered opportunities to listen.

Like Oprah, I believe everything does have meaning.  Yet unlike Oprah, I suspect experience can be wasted.  I've wasted experiences for which I've grateful received do-overs repeatedly.  When we do not use the events of the present, whether they are personal or communal (as is happening in Ferguson, MO), we miss opportunities to ask deeper questions, to build bridges, to change and to connect.  I suspect this is why history is prone to repeating itself.

And yet Life calls.  On what do you place your attention?  Life calls.  How do you answer?


-Dawn, The Good News Muse,  21 August 2014

No comments: