Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tear Down That Wall

I reach to pet my cat, this tabby I found that also found me three years ago.
I stroke his white neck, rub an ear.
His ear's warm. Is he okay?

I don't want him to die, darts through my mind.

Where does this come from, this fear prompting me to hold back?

Have you ever felt that moment, the precise second fear wants you to retreat,
when the wall or shield ever so slightly reveals itself?

I've spent much time behind that wall.
This crucial moment with my cat illuminates the choice.
To lean into fear or stay behind the wall.

Attach.
Protect.
Risk all, feel all.
Risk nothing, feel nothing.

Although I was not a fan, I hear shades of Reagan to Gorbachev,
"Dawn Kirk, tear down that wall."

My wall needs no wrecking ball.
Bogey does just fine.

I reach to pet my cat.
Through this tabby that found me, I find me
as well as the bridge from my heart to the world.

Bridges are the infrastructures in which I invest.

-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 23 June 2011

No comments: