Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Inextinguishable

On yesterday's walk, I came upon a magnolia filled with fire.

Little match sticks were cupped in a petal, gifts from the center spire.
I took a photo then walked on.


Today I came upon the same blossom and was shocked to find it silken brown,
no less beautiful but brown, brown and closing.


The matches had turned to rice.


I am fed by fire, the fire of energy and inspiration.

This same morning as I cleaned out a bag filled with clippings and papers from days gone by, I came across the symphony program from January of this year.

'Why on earth had I saved this?' I wondered.

I opened the booklet and knew. I had heard "The Inextinguishable" by Scandinavian composer Carl Nielsen. Written nearly one hundred years ago, Nielsen had an idea for a new work, one expressing what in his words was the will to life.

In the symphony's 1916 premier, the composer wrote "The inextinguishable refers to the indestructible character of the life force and music alike."

The magnolia down the street is music and life force to me.
Whether white and opening or brown and closing, there lives the Inextinguishable.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 8 June 2011

No comments: