Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Mind is Great. The Heart is Good. (Love as Daily Bread)

(I didn't know as I wrote this that December is Universal Human Rights Month.)

This morning I found myself suddenly thinking of the blessing we said before every meal when I was a child. You may know it. "God is great. God is good. Let us thank him for our food. By his hands, we all are fed. Thank you, God, for daily bread." I quietly repeated the familiar refrain when the following began to grow in my mind. I hurriedly stopped what I was doing and scribbled what came.

"The Mind is great. The Heart is good.
Both gave us wisdom to grow our food.
By corporate hands, many now are fed.
May we return to Love for our daily bread."

Minds in the Industrial Age envisioned and created machinery, machinery that ultimately gave us the capacity to feed millions. We feed millions and we overfeed ourselves; yet many die of hunger.

Scientific minds then created chemicals, chemicals that allow foods to remain on store and cupboard shelves for months. These chemicals, made I suspect with good intent, and the resulting processing of food not only diminish the life in food but may be related to the rise of certain diseases in our time.

How is it that we slowly turned our nourishment over to scientists, inventors, agribusiness and corporate America? What will our legacy be to future generations as they look back on our times? Will we be known for our technological leaps in making wireless connections yet miss the connections inside our own bodies?

Our minds are still great and our hearts still good.

May we remember the wisdom that resides in our bodies, in both heart and mind, so that our age will be known as a time in which humankind reconnected internally as well as externally. May our age be known for returning awareness as to how we are nourished by Earth. May we remember how to really nourish ourselves and one another and not be satisfied until every person on this dear planet has enough literal daily bread born of the bread of love.
-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 30 Nov. 2010
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, as I think of the many things I am thankful for...your musings come to mind...and your commitment and durability around the issues so many of us are concerned about...I appreciate your ongoing creativity, humor and unique way of offering a fresh lens through which we view our world.......Judi