Friday, August 27, 2010

Being & the Beacon

It's evening as I sit outside something I've not really done since surgery. The sun has moved through the sky, its light now perfectly angled spotlighting the small Japanese maple in our backyard.

Does this little tree realize for three consecutive evenings it was my beacon, my lighthouse of sorts as I recovered on the sofa. I was captured by the dance between the trees lacy leaves and the soft, clear light. The sunlight reminded me of the poster in the hospital hall as I was rolled into surgery. The poster titled "Natural Light" was of sunlight on great rock walls.

This was just three weeks ago. I had expected a drug induced haze, but instead found myself filled with a presence, an aliveness. I felt so alive those three nights I noticed the tree and light. All I did was Be, something I consider myself good at, yet now all these weeks later realize I'm better at being after I've earned it through a lot of doing.

Lying on the sofa for nearly a week revealed how I've bought into valuing society's message of doing over being.

Tonight I be and am grateful to the Japanese Maple for reminding me of the beauty of being. The beauty of being, that is my beacon. What's yours?
-Dawn! The Good News Muse
written 8/27/10 - posted 11/08/10

No comments: