Friday, March 19, 2010

Playing with the Tin Man

Look closely mid-way up the slide and you'll see the face of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. I did at least yesterday during my walk and could not resist taking his photo. I imagined the folks to whom the slide belongs, folks I've yet to meet, running out to say, "Excuse me, but..."


"But the Tin Man's hanging out on your slide," I'd say.

The Tin Man needed a heart, right? How often do our hearts grow weary with all our adult ways, looking serious, being serious. We need the oil of play. And I don't mean telling jokes and laughing at another's expense. I'm not referring to playing competitively. Even with me this can morph into shouting. March Madness was not even twenty-four hours old and I had already shared choice words with my team and their coach as they "played" on tv.

I'm talking about the kind of play we did as kids. You know roll in the grass, run, skip, kick a ball, fly a kite, make up silly dances or shake your booty just because you can. So maybe that last thing was from high school. Although a first grade friend and I did do the jerk out the upstairs apartment window over my father's business to "These Boots are Made for Walking." Nancy Sinatra may not have been having fun, but we were.

So whether you see the Tin Man or not, wherever you are on this first day of Spring, get out and feel the shift play brings!

- Dawn! The Good News Muse 03/19/10
Check out "Laughter Yoga" and "Interplay", two great ways to play.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

If you had said it was the face of Jesus or Mother Teresa, you could have made your fame and fortune with people flocking to your neighborhood to witness the miracle of Jesus on the Slide. Oh, well, I see the Tin Man too! :)