Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Deer Whiskers

Deer whiskers make me smile. Don't ask me why. They just do. I didn't even know deer had whiskers until a couple of weeks ago as I looked through my binoculars at one, a deer that is, in the back yard. As it munched on grass, I thought I saw drool. A deer drooling? 'Hmm, maybe,' I thought, 'it's really good grass.' This prompted me to get out my binoculars through which I discovered that deer have chin whiskers.

I've personally been experiencing chin whiskers for quiet awhile so there is something comforting in seeing these animals I so love sporting really long chin whiskers. Let me tell you this deer had no care for length. It actually went with this deer. They belonged on him or her. They were reminiscent of a movie in which a wise old, grandaddy of a deer could talk. I'll have to consult the movie aficionado in my family to see if he thinks I'm making this up...the movie not the whiskers.

I've now evidence that the whiskers are for real. Only two days ago, I went out to leave corn and found a pile of whiskers on the rock where I always place the corn. You would have thought it was Christmas morning with the delight I felt. I tucked a few in my pocket and drove into work.

Entering the grown up world of work, I forgot the whiskers until the next morning, when I went to get a massage. Yes, I had on the same pair of pants. When I reached in my pocket to take out a stone I intentionally brought to the session, I pulled out a few whiskers which I excitedly showed Garth who's on close to the same wave length as me. The four whiskers were placed under the red stone.

Today as dusk falls, I go outside to ensure there's corn and to my surprise there are more whiskers. Although I was trying to practice non-attachment, I had quietly hoped there would be. It's as if the deer said, "Dawn, if you so graciously give us corn while we're awaiting spring leaves, the least we can do is share our whiskers." I in a very grab-all-you-can-get-American way took an entire handful. Or maybe I'm just exuberant in situations like this. I was very grateful.

The whiskers lay by my laptop now as I write. They exude an essence, wise and kind. I want to learn more as to what deer have represented to the many traditions. That time will come. For now I have dear whiskers and right now that is all I need.

Imagine the shift in your life if you allowed yourself to be surprised with delight the way deer whiskers delighted me?
-Imagine the Shift with Dawn! The Good News Muse, 03/17/10

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you suppose they pluck them like we women do? I am amazed that they are leaving them in a pile for you

Unknown said...

You know I've been assuming these were men, but maybe they are plucking them and leaving them for me. All I know is I find it delightful!

Anna Hines said...

What fun, Dawn! Thank you for sharing this bit of exuberance.