Friday, January 29, 2010

What Hits the Spot?

This morning during a rare Nashville snow fall, I called my favorite neighbors to see if they were up for a stroll. We walked and talked eventually making our way to the grocery.

Enroute Ella made a snow angel and wrote PEACE! in the snow on the trunks of neighbors' cars and on the sidewalks. She caught me up on her nine-year-old life which presently includes learning about Persephone in acting classes as well as the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses. (I want to be nine again.)

This of course allowed us at the grocery to spy Posideon, Zeus, Persephone and Hera amongst the many shoppers as well as the Artemis in Ella's mom as she hunted for cocoa butter.

Walking home, Alicia shared how she had made hot chocolate for the girls who had slept over last night, a late birthday surprise for Ella. One of the girls commented how the hot chocolate 'hit the spot.' This led to their talking about other things that hit the spot which in turn led to my sharing with Alicia that being able to call her up and walk spontaneously the way we were doing hit the spot for me. Anytime I feel a sense of satisfaction within, a kind of peaceful, resting inside I know I've hit the spot. It's like smiling inside.

I came inside thinking about how we're told often covertly what will hit the spot for us. We're told through advertising what to eat, drink, wear, where to shop and what to buy that will bring us satisfaction. We're so out of contact with our bodies that we don't even know satisfaction. So we eat and eat, buy and buy, drink and drink, sleep and sleep, watch tv and more tv....you get the idea.

So I challenge you wherever you are to find what hits the spot for you and feel the sense of your own inner 'ah' of rest, peace and wonder. Imagine that shift.
-Dawn!

No comments: