Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nature Knocks


Recently I was wandering and wondering why duckweed is called duckweed, since I've only seen deer eating it at the lake's edge. On cue, I heard a clicking sound and looked to my right to see nearly two dozen geese, duck kin, sitting in the middle of the fluorescent green goo snacking. I immediately began snapping away or tried to. My camera battery only allowed a couple of photos.

Fortunately I was forced to listen. The clicking sound made as they nibbled away reminded me of the sounds of typing class in high school before computer days. The geese tapped a Morse code of sorts. I allowed the sound to filter into my experience. The geese were knocking on the door of Me.


Lately I often wonder if all of nature, like the geese, isn't speaking to us in its own special code. For example, earlier in the summer while in Sedona, I noticed the shapes of clouds in the sky mirrored the earthly terrain. Did the mountains provide the template for the clouds or vice versa? Then I realized the mountainous lines mirrored the curves of the body. Our substance comes from the earth, why not our shapes?


At times whether we notice or not, there is no secret code. The communication
is obvious. We are being watched. What do the trees see? How do they feel
about us knowing we've stripped so much of the land of their kin?



The photo I took this summer while hiking near the village of Supai, home of the Havasupai living in the Western portion of the Grand Canyon says it all. Nature is love and we are loved. How do I know we are loved by nature? I just know. Or like the song that crossed my mind goes, "Trees so love us this I know. The one in Supai told me so."

Plants and animals are immensely loving of us. They are equally forgiving of our ignorance and negligence. I include myself when I write ignorance and negligence, because contrary to what the geese found this week when they knocked on the door of Me, there have been plenty of times when they would have not found anyone at 'home.' I have been an absentee landlord unknowingly so much of my life.

More moments than not, more days than not, I am 'at home' now when Nature knocks. Where are you?

No comments: