Thursday, November 10, 2011

Saved by Love Occupying the Heart & Natures Messengers Occupying Earth

Upon hearing of Friday night's possible 20-something degrees, I was struck by a sense of grief. My thoughts turned not to my homeless, human kin but to my flower children, zinnias grown for the first time this year. They've shared their beauty with me for three months. With each bouquet clipped more have arrived in my not-that-sunny front yard where they've grown some to 6' tall seeking sun.

This summer the zinnias have been my messengers, their vibrant, busy, star-sprinkled centers have drawn me in to wonderings and knowings related to the universe and energy.

Intellectually I know about the cycles of light and death, impermanence and letting go. Yesterday's Musing contained that very thing. Yet last night my sadness was palpable as I knew the end of the zinnias neared.

In this morning's cold, I came to the yard swing again. I sat and heard the sounds of a familiar yet forgotten bird. It took awhile to realize the trees in my small city yard were home to returning robins who congregate here certain times of year.

The robins are back!! How perfect that I would be surrounded by robins who symbolically represent "new growth." My 2nd thought was of the zinnias. Robins reminder of new growth was all I needed to peacefully and joyfully let my flower children go. (Actually I think I heard the zinnias say, "Yes, let us go so we can move on" reminding me of the times we hold on to those dying when they want to let go.)

I've read spiritual and self-help books galore about letting go, non-attachment and the temporariness of this world, yet none of these teachings really fit or feel right for me. This morning I realize I'm someone who engages through occupying my heart. Doing so last night and allowing my grief, followed by this mornings bird messengers I joyfully let go and invite what's next in this beautiful cycling of life on Earth. From this place, beauty is what resonates with me.

My thoughts now turn to my homeless kin as well as the 1% and all of us in between. If we fully occupied our hearts and minds, might we realize the profound beauty of living life on Earth in relationship with Nature and one another? If we realized the beautiful gift we're given through life on Earth, I suspect systems would shift from exploiting and competing to something more kin to honoring, respecting and thoughtfully cooperating. If conference calls and board meetings included going outside and listening to the messages all around us and this gift of life on Earth, we would take only what is needed. There would be more than enough for all on Earth. Homelessness, poverty, environmental degradation and greed would certainly lessen if not cease.

This morning I am saved by the zinnias at death's door, robins 'occupying' my yard and the beauty of living on Earth, engaged with Earth. Occupying my heart and mind, I'm joyfully attached to my heart's call, grief, joy and all.

This morning and all the mornings to come, we are saved, saved by the beauty of allowing love to occupy the heart and Nature's messengers occupying Earth.
-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 10 November 2011
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

1 comment:

Transformational Reflections said...

Lovely, Dawn. I have goosebumps reading it, which help me feel alive!