Friday, November 18, 2011

The Body Remembers - A Boot Camp Bit

This week I returned to boot camp at the Parthenon after a two week absence. I wondered what shape I'd be in as jumping jacks and squats outside in the sun and in the garage when it rained were no match for Bill Crutchfield's "Crutchcamp."

Except for forgetting that breakfast isn't recommended just prior to working out, the only time I didn't want to throw up was when we warmed up. Overall I was happy, no I was quite excited, with the shape I was in as Bill took us through his Baskin-Robbins routine, not 40 flavors but 40 different exercises in one minute samples to increase strength, balance and the heart.

When I began boot camp I had little to no strength or stamina. This week I found myself moving through windmills, planks, sprints and donkey kicks with ease compared to six weeks prior.

My body remembered. My muscle body held the memory of being strengthened.

Today in the cold we met inside a nearby local dance school where as part of warming up we jogged two laps around the room. The rhythmic, rubber sound of shoes on the floor immediately took me back to 7th grade and running laps around the gym floor in basketball. I smiled grateful my sensory self transports me to other times and places unexpectedly like this through sound, sight and smell.

I drove home thinking if the body remembers, the heart does too. After eons of control, competition, separation and conquering we're living in a time of the heart remembering itself, of remembering the strength found in vulnerability, relationship and speaking one's truth.

If my muscle and sense memory can hold strength and sound from weeks and decades prior, hearts hardened and seemingly dimmed hold the memory of love and loving tucked deep within. As I honor my heart and come home to me, on a quantum, larger level I help in their healing too.

I imagine the shift of our individual hearts joined, giving rise to the global heart helping it through me and through you remember its beat and the love it once knew.

-Dawn! The Good News Muse 18 November 2011
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

* Check out Bill's boot camp M/W/F mornings at 6:00, 8:30 and 9;30 on the west side of the Parthenon. Starting Nov.28 - $50 a week for three classes for the next 3 wks. until the holidays.

No comments: