Thursday, November 10, 2011

Earth Is Our Pillow - A Tribute to Soldiers, Earth and the Heart Inspired by the Pillow from My Childhood

Last night I smudged my pillow. I had awakened yesterday realizing I still sleep with the pillow from my growing up, the same pillow into which I cried so many nights, the same pillow under which I put my head to hide the sound not wanting to be found.

Using sage bought earlier this summer in Cherokee, I asked that any aloneness and sadness this precious object of the pillow and my heart still held be energetically lifted. I honored the sensitive girl who felt so deeply for others and herself. I honored my heart's loneliness then asked that I be able to hear and see more clearly my story and the beauty of all those tears. This was far from a sad thing. I actually felt joy for the girl and woman who has cried and cried.

Then this morning as I sat outside I realized Earth is a pillow. How many tears has Earth absorbed, tears of soldiers dying on her breast from war? How many tears has Earth absorbed as family members left at home have hidden their grief from those they don't want to worry or from those whose judgment they fear? How many tears has Earth absorbed in America alone as our ancestors killed our native kin, the 1st Americans? There's a reason the Cherokee called it the Trail of Tears.

Then I realize I literally mean Earth is like my pillow.

Around this time last year while walking in the woods, Jerry and I stopped at a stream. He sat on a rock while I leaned against a tree. Pressing my cheek on its rough bark I felt comfort within. Not wanting to neglect the other side of my face, I turned my cheek so it too could feel the tree. My breath was taken though for I heard a blood curdling scream. I realized I was hearing the cries of people during crusades and witch hunts, those burned at the stake centuries prior for the stakes were made of....... trees, trees that had absorbed these dear souls cries. (Later I spoke with someone about the many trees that absorbed tears into their roots, tears of the many who sought safety in the woods to grieve in hiding for fear of being found. I wondered is this why man so easily clear cuts the land, removing millions of trees while unconsciously trying to remove themselves from an ancestral legacy of guilt due to their connection with the patriarchy and control.)

Hearing the cry in the tree happened just before the Winter Solstice at which time I lay on the Earth and invited the trees in my backyard to give up their sorrow. I hadn't planned this. It's just what came to me as I sat outside on this the longest night of the year. Now that I think of it I offered myself as a human vessel to not only free the trees from holding human sorrow but to also change that sorrow to peace and joy. I lay in the grass in my little city yard and wept and laughed as the trees above me seemed to sway and do the same.

The trees have been our pillow.

And the rocks have been our pillow.

This summer the night before we were to drive to Cherokee, NC for a brief and first visit after having not been there in over twenty years, I lay exhausted thinking I could not make the trip, wondering if I harbored some illness unseen. Jerry persisted that we needed to take this little trip although I truly didn't know how I could make it.

For some reason as I walked through our yard in the country, I sat down on a rock. Then as I had never done before I lay back on this boulder jutting from Mother Earth's edge and felt all my exhaustion drain, go away. As sure as I am sitting here I felt the rock take my depleted state.

This is what I mean when I write Earth is a pillow. Just like the pillow in my growing up years took every thing that poured from me, Earth takes and takes and takes. She takes our tears, absorbs our exhaustion and waits.

Earth waits for us to claim who we really are and who She is.

Just as the energy shifted for me and my pillow last night and between the rock, the trees and me this year, Earth our energetic, giving, receiving pillow only needs us to occupy our hearts and minds and thank her for her sensitivity and her huge heart, to claim who she is and claim who we are.

This is the internal climate change that will shift Earth's climate change.

Wake up to that Shift !
-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 10 November 2011
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

No comments: