Friday, March 29, 2013

Honey Bees, Wooly Mammoths and Me - Thoughts on Playing God and Biotechnology

This morning the vanishing bees were on my heart and mind. I stood at my altar and held them in meditation and prayer. I energetically held many small things like bees, bugs, butterflies and seeds. Earlier I had seen a post referencing honey bees dramatic decline due to neonicotinoids in pesticides. 

Standing in the quiet another biotech post crossed my mind.  What is it with so many scientists and investors needing to play Spirit/God/Source with food? How many scientists now in the biotech world are motivated by money, financial gain?  Once upon a time, science and capitalism did not go hand in hand.  How many are motivated by a sincere desire to prepare for what they fear is our bee-less future? 

Was I “playing God” asking the world of pollinators to keep coming to Earth to assist us? I didn’t feel this way as I sincerely asked them to continue returning to us if it’s for Love’s highest good.

Just this week I’ve wondered whether it’s possible to use genetic engineering ethically. I participated in a study for Vanderbilt on stress, economics, race and aging. I feared my blood samples taken to be studied genetically would eventually be used to just create more drugs. Is it possible a medical university today, also heavily influenced by pharmaceutical purse strings, can actually encourage lifestyle changes and mindfulness based on these research results? I am doubtful and at times regret having given them my blood.
 
How is it we seek cures rather than look beneath the surface of our lives to see what’s potentially causing disease, dissension or the decline of bees? Is seeking cures and blaming more exciting than finding causes? Does finding the cause create tension in the companies manufacturing the chemicals slowing killing us and much in Nature?

As I continued to hold the bees energetically and ask for their return, the wooly mammoth went through my mind! Ah, another biotech connection. Months ago during a morning walk I saw two different cars with wooly mammoth bumper stickers.  I came home only to read a story in the local paper about a biotech company hoping to eventually recreate the wooly mammoth.

If we do not connect the dots and tend to small things like how pesticides and chemicals in our plastics and throughout our homes contributing to disease, how in the h_ _ _ are we going to tend to wooly mammoths? I don’t get it.

So I stood before my altar and held the all of this in love.  I volunteered to be part of what is unfolding here on Earth in the name of Love and our highest good.

I left the room, grabbed my jacket to finally take a much delayed walk and picked up a letter in yesterday’s mail.  Under the letter staring back at me was the April issue of “National Geographic.” A wooly mammoth led a parade of ice age creatures marching from a chemistry beaker beneath the headline “Reviving Extinct Species – We Can, But Should We?”

I will read the story later.  For now I will take my morning walk three hours late and get to a lunchtime meeting. I will walk and feel deep appreciation especially to the bees, bugs and birds.

I am not a scientist but I often wonder and at times bee-lieve the bees are vanishing because we have not appreciated them or valued their integral role in our survival.  

I don’t need a study to prove this. It is enough to kinesthetically  sense and experience this inside my body, heart and mind. Mindfully paying attention to my insides yields the research results I need at just about any given moment revealing whether I’m using my attention and spending my energy in the ways that are best for me and how I want to relate to species. 

This is how I want to live from a place of listening to my inner biological technology.

Dawn, The Good News Muse 29 March 2013

(After writing this today, I learned at lunch that NPR reported the bees are not dying but are in a drunken state and therefore get lost due to the neonicotinoids.  Drunken and lost our way - sounds like a lot of humans today. I don't say this with judgement. I've lost my way for huge portions of my life, way too much of the time.  And yet my body is my GPS, always revealing whether I'm off or on my track. Here's the NPR link for "Are Agriculture's Most Popular Pesticides Killing Our Bees?"

No comments: