Tuesday, March 20, 2012

You May Wear a Watch But Do You Watch?

These are the days I want to sit and watch, not passively, but actively engaged bearing witness to every leaf as it unfurls and every blossom as it opens. In the past three days I have watched


 buds blossom








 and trees green.



I am a watcher, the way my father watched the birds and my mother still does.  I am a watcher, the way my grandparents were who lived on the creek which was really by a creek not on it.  These grandparents wrote me the college summer I was in California sharing with me the specifics of their garden and of the frog that sat under the dripping faucet outside.  I didn't realize they were watchers until I rediscovered their letters in a plastic bag thirty years old.

Many wear watches. This device of turning seconds into minutes marks time, keeping folks on track through their day.  People wear watches but do they watch?

I watch Nature and Earth, the sun and moon, the stars in the sky.  Watching Nature and the heavens puts me on another track, a track beyond time.

What do you watch?  What do you see?  What track are you on today?
-Dawn, The Good News Muse  20 March 2012

No comments: