Sunday, March 18, 2012

Flowers for the Grieving

As I took this photo something shifted inside. I felt comfort as a thought came to mind.  'This is why we bring flowers to the grieving.'  
After just having posted, "Go outside, hear the birds sing" one Musing prior, I walked around the corner yesterday and found feathers on the ground, black feathers with bright yellow tips. 
Two days ago under the same tree the feathers were cardinal red. That day I cried and cried.  The second time though I was stunned.  I was angry and busy.  I had too many things to do to cry and if I had time I couldn't.  I felt numb inside.  I went on autopilot.  I began running errands which included buying a granular product that supposedly keeps cats away as well as cat collars with bells on them for neighboring cats who venture into the yard.  I'm not a violent person but I felt an emotional current within that made me think this is how folks feel who rush to war.  
Then I pulled into the parking lot at the office supply store and saw this exquisite row of blossoming trees.  As I snapped the photo above I literally felt something shift inside me.  I felt an inner sense of comfort and immediately thought, 'This is why we bring flowers to the grieving.'  
In that moment, I was no longer distressed.  All I felt was gratitude to Mother Nature and my unknown kin who grew, planted and tended these trees.  In that moment they felt especially meant for my hurting heart and me. They lined a path bringing me back to peace.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse 18 March 2012
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

No comments: