Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Flicker and Flickr - How Do You Feed on Your Feeds?

This winter I saw my first Great Northern Flicker in my small city yard not far from Nashville's center.  During one single digit day, I glanced outside and ten feet from me noticed something smaller than a hawk but larger than a red belly woodpecker hanging from one of our feeders.

The word flicker popped into my mind as I joyfully watched.  I searched flicker on the Audubon site and sure enough I was watching a flicker feed.

Later I looked up the symbolic meaning of Flicker in "Animal Speaks."

Flicker represents new starts.  
New beginnings are near. 
There is an opportunity for new growth.  
Trust in your ability to manifest healing love.

That flicker has continued to visit our yard daily for a month this week. Timing wise I feel graced to be walking past a window at just the right time most days to have seen it.     

The Great Northern Flicker!
This morning I decided I wanted to share the photo with facebook friends.  How many of them had even seen a flicker?  Due to earlier computer challenges, I got out an old laptop, an elder in computer circles, so I could post the photo.  

What first got my attention was a word at the top of my home screen. 

Flickr 

Flickr?  Why was that there? 

I clicked and found a photo sharing site of which I had been a member since 2011.  I don't even recall signing on to Flickr.  My photo file was empty yet I scrolled through the site looking at the most amazing photos made by those on my feed.  These beautiful photos were of Earth, her children, two legged, four legged, winged, wild and and wonderful, as well as her glorious body made of mountains and oceans covered in the colors of the rainbow.

Yet I wondered how many of those taking these photos realize they are photographing our dear Mother, Divine Matter around, beneath and above them?  Do I really stop and take in this beauty as I see it?  Do I really feed on the photo feed before me, mindfully savoring this stream of Love?  Or do I feed on most social media as if it's fast food not really stopping to take in what's before me?

This is why I prefer the flicker to flickr.  I feel myself bodily and spiritually open to Love's stream when I am outside, whether wandering and walking my neighborhood streets, paths in parks and the woods or sitting in my yard. Being outside, I experience Love in a way that I don't in front of a screen where I can feel bombarded by information's steady stream.   

These times are coded with clues embedded to help us awaken to the New Beginning symbolized by Flicker.   When I pull back and think in wide angle, big picture terms I know just as I signed on to my computer, I signed on to come to Earth.  Flickr and the Flicker are on to something.

This is the New Start for which we were born. My soul signed on but over time I unknowingly signed off. Experiencing Nature has awakened me to fully signing on again.

The keys for me are balance, openness and paying attention to where I place my attention so I am present and experiencing Love whether I'm watching the flicker feed or my flickr feed.  

With mindful awareness, Flickr, facebook, twitter, tumblr and on and on and on can be a beautiful vehicles for new growth and healing love so we are connected relationally with ourselves, Mother Earth and one another. 

Have you fully logged on to your life? 
Are you deeply fed by your feeds or just anesthetized?
How much  do you pay attention to words and symbols today? 

For a related short video on the Blackberry and blackberries....


-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 1 February 2014

No comments: