Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Roger and Me - Random Acts of Kindness Week


This week, according to my calendar, is “Random Acts of Kindness” week.   I agree with a facebook friend who said we shouldn’t need a week designated to be kind.  It’s similar to Earth Day. We shouldn’t need  a day devoted to celebrating our home and looking at what we can do to live on it more sustainably.  Yet just as we’re not kind every day, we don’t for the most part appreciate living on Mother Earth.

I had forgotten the Acts of Kindness notation on my calendar as I ate dinner in Fido Monday evening.  From a window seat, I ate and watched  a man walk back and forth across 21st approaching customers as he sold The Contributor.   Eventually I ordered a to go burger and walked over to him.  I had waited for some time quietly weighing whether to do this.  I wanted to ensure I was giving this man a meal out of joy and not pity or sorrow.  This courageous soul on Nashville’s streets didn’t need my pity.  

As we shook hands, he enthusiastically said, "Someone's watching over me." I found myself touched and said, "I needed to hear that. You're reminding me someone watches over me too." Roger then placed the container by his unsold papers and said, "I want to sing for you." There he stood singing Amazing Grace. His voice was rich and by the third verse I was singing too. This is amazing grace to me. This man and I were both giver and receiver standing on a Hillsboro Village street.

It wasn’t until arriving home that I remembered “Random Acts of Kindness” week.  I shared the above on facebook then went to bed.

Many of my facebook friends became part of the ‘act’ by morning. Over eighty of them had ‘liked’ what I shared and several had commented.  In keeping with Random Acts of Kindness week, they had no idea they gave me a beautiful gift. Their messages added another grace-filled layer to the story. 

It may be surprising but I often have the experience of feeling invisible.   I write regularly yet very seldom have people read my stories.  I don’t write to be read.  I listen, watch and write to stay alive.  When I stop writing a part of my starts dying. 
 
Yet seeing the stream of unexpected comments beneath the story of Roger‘s and my encounter made me suddenly feel seen. 

Then I thought of Roger and the multitudes of homeless and the other 'invisible' ones in our world - those who are trafficked for sex and cheap labor, the elderly, the  disAbled, those in Appalachia without healthcare. 

I thought of artists likeU2 just releasing "Invisible" to call attention to AIDS as well those who paint, write, tell stories, create symphonies, write songs and sing. They are vital to calling attention to these invisible ones yet they are also vital to our awakening to seeing ourSelves more fully as well as our Earthly kin. 

I now wonder if this random act of kindness between Roger and me was really so random?  

Quantum physics suggests what the indigenous people of all lands have always known.  We are each part of an unseen web of connectedness.  

In this regards you are now part of the encounter between Roger and me.  You are part of the web. Mindfully carry this energy - the energy of Love, Joy and Song or however you show up when you fully see yourself. For when you see the beauty in who you really are, you can't help but see who others are. Kindness naturally flows from this.  See the beauty you carry and pass it on. In this way, we raise consciousness not just for ourselves but to all in the quantum web. 
-Dawn, The Good News Muse 12 Feb. 2014


1 comment:

Kathy Plourde said...

I read almost all of your posts and don't comment ... your reference to feeling 'invisible' is interesting to me - those are words that I often use for myself... and was taught that when I feel invisible it is because I am not honoring the inner voice of myself or my child... in being able to hear this, it seems that I have become more courageous and I am wondering if you have had a similar experience... your writing seems very courageous to me... Good work...