Monday, February 4, 2013

Robins Celebrate Ravens Win

At times my soul feels like a bottomless well or a hungry belly, a starving heart.  That is why I sat outside this morning in 20 degrees of cold rejoicing in robins.  How many of my neighbors or passersby enroute to work noticed and heard the hundreds of robins throughout my neighborhood?  I listened and wondered if they were waking the bird world to the Raven's win?  Or did the recent 70 degree weather prompt their migratory journey my way weeks early?  Normally I would grab a trowel and begin breaking ground, not for a new building, but to aide their search for earthen food.  

Nature's song provides me a balance for the harshness in the world.  This morning I could care less if the Ravens or 49's won. For possibly the first time ever I only tuned into football last night to see who had been chosen for the halftime spectacle.  I wished Beyonce had sung "Break the Chain" the anthem for the One Billion Rising movement. What an opportunity she had.

My mind and heart were preoccupied with the fact that Super Bowl weekend is a heavy period for sex trafficking in the country and even more so with New Orleans being a port city.  Young girls can be easily cycled into the city for tourists and revelers looking to spend money in secrecy. 

This morning thanks to the robins I am Thoreau in my Walden, this world around me  Yet I suspect Thoreau never wrestled with time and need at least as I do, the need to come inside, clean up, but first take my morning walk and run, bills to pay, the cable company and computer guy to call or the moisturizer, cleanser and scrub that's a month overdue to order. What was his equivalent of tumblr, facebook and twitter, calls to return and work to do? And how would Thoreau have wrapped his mind around sex trafficking?


Some part of me thinks I should take Thoreau off the shelf to read tonight.  For now, a moment more, I sit at my inner pond and drink of this outer world.  Natures feels and robins fill this well, belly, heart place.  Whether celebrating the Super Bowl or heralding Spring, they come to my aide on this cold February day.

Maybe I am not the only one they're here to aide. 

Would 1 in 3 women experience violence, would we be arguing about guns, would girls be trafficked any day not just Super Bowl day if more people realized their beauty within and this beautiful world without?

What sings outside your window right now?
-Dawn, The Good News Muse,  4 Feb. 2013


No comments: