Friday, February 8, 2013

Falling Trees

I am a notice-er yet I have walked this road many times before and these trees have gone unnoticed until a recent snow.  These fallen beautiful ones their once vertical bodies stretching earth to sky now lay parallel to the ground.

What happened here?

On this day, I was reminded of other fallen ones, those who have lived and died in these woods long before white man's arrival and those who died as a result of his arrival, moved from their wooded home.

They remind me of other fallen ones.  Weekdays I walk my Nashville neighborhood once a battlefield between North and South.  I walk the area streets aware many of the hills and dips about me were once trenches in which men lay first with guns then with death, defending their way of life.

I look at these trees and wonder what these souls gone before would speak.  If they could for a day rise from the trenches and battlefields, what would they say?

In the quite I hear: "We are all falling trees. Live and love more mindfully. Stop your frightened, warring ways."
-Dawn, The Good News Muse,  8 Feb. 2013

No comments: