Friday, September 21, 2012

Bug Gifts - Healing in the Web of Life

While soaking up some Vitamin D and reading a book on the deck at lunch, a brown and orange butterfly the size of a quarter landed on the edge of my book. This winged beauty sat looking at me eye to eye for ten minutes.  I have never been face to face with a creature like this for so long. 

I was certain its big, black eyes asked: Are you my mother?

Aloud I replied, "Of course, I'm your Mother."  It continued to look at me and I realized in my big, black rimmed sunglasses covering not just my eyes but a third of my face I really did look like its mother.

I recalled Ho'oponopono the Hawaiian prayer of healing and said aloud to this dear being, "Please forgive me for all the pesticides that have affected and killed your kin. Forgive me my hesitance and fear in speaking up and out on behalf of Mother Earth and the animals. Forgive my ignorance, my not knowing until late in life the facts about chemicals and corporations impacting life's web" 

Then I added, "I love you. I am sorry.  Thank you. "

All along the butterfly never blinked or looked away.  And when I finished, it flew.  This bugs willingness to commune with me gifted me in such a beautiful way.  I believe I gifted it too.

Acts of forgiveness no matter the size bring healing to the broken threads in the web of life. 
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 21 September 2012

This link Ho'oponopono will take you to just one of many sites explaining this prayer of reconciliation.


No comments: