Friday, July 8, 2011

Presto Pesto - What Stirs You?

Although I grew up with a mother who cooked and cooked and cooked, I would rather be found riding my bike, jogging what was called Shay Hollow road below our house before jogging was popular or making things (now called 'crafts' and sold on Etsy.)

Buying a house in the country where I planted raised beds and going to France all in the same magical year stirred something between me and Earth, me and the home's hearth - the kitchen.

The first time I walked into the yard that was to become mine for awhile I felt in my body the this knowing that I was to live there. I just didn't know it would be three years after that day.

Going to France I fell in love with Earth and still distinctly recall the streets I walked and the tree I sat leaning against knowing this was where I first learned to deeply love Earth.

I returned from France in love, in love with seeds and soil and the soul it carries and fires. I sensed the exuberance of Earth, the green and growing Earth.

It took awhile to get over leaving France but I gradually began to fall in love with the Earth here in this life, the waterfalls, walks in the woods, mirroring my love of the woods and creek at my grandparents in the country and yes, seeds and soil here in my Middle Tennessee home.

Those seeds in three raised beds don't provide enough to feed me but they feed my soul. How they feed my soul.

Being in love with Earth one realizes the magic Earth holds and exudes.

This week's magic was basil turned into pesto for pasta.

Yes, something has been stirred between me and Earth, me and my hearth, the kitchen of my heart.

What stirs you?
-Dawn! The Good News Muse, 8 July 2011

No comments: