Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Don't Let Anything Stop You" - A Magical Moment Thx to a Magnatizing Mandolin

Tonight I walked into Fido (one of my weekly food groups in Hillsboro Village), placed my veggie burger order and turned to find a seat. Instead I spied a mandolin.  Yes, a mandolin.

I didn't notice to whom it was attached, whether they were male or female, but I found myself compelled to walk to it. I was drawn to it or it to me and as this magnetic dance occurred, I met the owner face-to-face. 

I smiled.  I knew this person in a sense.  Well I didn't really know her know her, but I had seen her.

Just about a year ago, I saw her debut at the Basement.

The owner of the instrument was Eva, one of four sisters in the vocal group "Shel" from Ft. Collins, CO.  She was in town to play at the Belcourt for a sold-out crowd!!  I learned of Shel through Peter Cooper's story in the local paper on last year's cd release day. Although I live in Nashville where music abounds, if I do anything spontaneously it's go to Cheekwood during LIGHTS or the Frist.  I don't spontaneously venture out to hear music on a whim. 

I told this young woman whose eyes met mine that I appreciated their sound, had their cd and found myself accidentally seated by her parents at the Basement that night. (The house was packed.)  Then I heard myself say for some reason something like, "When you find yourself discouraged for whatever reason as an artist, pull yourself over on Life's road, sit a bit, savor a flower or whatever inspires you and then Keep On. Don't let anything stop you."

I may have been sharing this for myself as much as I was her but for whatever reason this little magical moment instigated by a mandolin stayed with me.  I thought of how we are all instruments if we allow ourselves to be played. We never know who is listening. What's most important at least in my journey is that I'm listening.

-Dawn, The Good News Muse  22 August 2013

No comments: