Saturday, January 5, 2013

Let Love into Your Heart - An Epiphany Epiphany

The sign read: "Let God Into Your Heart."

I had driven into town in hopes of buying red thread at the locally owned sewing store on the square and to avoid Walmart.  Upon leaving I took a different route home and ended up by the sign.

Oftentimes these signs make me laugh but this one made me smile.

I could let God into my heart becuase "God is Love" or so the Bible says and in that moment it felt so right to let Love into my heart.  Now I don't know if this is what they had in mind but for me it was prefect.

I recalled the first time I had a "God is Love" epiphany.  My mother always writes "God is Love" across the back of the envelope when she sends me cards.  But this one particular time about three years ago, I saw "God is Love" in her handwriting and I got it.

It is so simple.  How many wars have been fought and how many millions killed over time because of people fighting over whose God is the God   All the while it's so simple.  God is Love. 

Today that sign was just what I needed.  I had spent much of the morning taking an inventory of sorts, sitting with how I felt or was not feeling. I had this strange sense of numbness.

I hadn't turned on the tv in nearly a week so I couldn't blame my anesthetized state on the news.  I had been sick for the third time since summer and the second time in three holidays so I was bummed about that.  As someone whose primary channel is feeling, this non-feeling state was disturbing.

So I wrote. I watched the birds. I lit a candle.  I was mindful that when I'm not feeling well I feel a vulnerability to which I'm unaccustomed.  I keep love at bay  

Yet lighting that candle initiated the shift. It was subtle and quiet, but I sensed it inside.  I went about doing the things planned for the day and I did them because I wanted to not because I had to.  Yet  still something was slightly off until I saw the sign.

I saw that sign and realized it is so simple.  I make it complex.  All I needed to do was let love into my heart.  Receive. Receive. Receive.

Which brings me around to tonight.  The most challenging thing about being unexpectedly sick was having read that between Christmas Eve and Epiphany, Sunday the 6th, Light streams to Earth.  I had personal rituals planned (lots of doing) involved in receiving this Light.  I don't know about you but when I'm doing I'm least likely to be receiving.

In a profoundly beautiful way, I got just what I needed. I was forced to slow down, listen, turn inward and just be so I could "Let Love into my heart."

For me this is the perfect Epiphany.  The wise light of Love flowing in unexpectedly through a rural church sign.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 5 January 2013




No comments: