Friday, May 18, 2012

Imagine the Shift of Letting Fire Fly


This morning as I sat down outside I noticed in the adjacent chair a firefly spinning its wheels or legs as is firefly’s case.  The morning dew on the blue plastic prevented it from gaining traction. I placed a magazine close enough for one leg to finally make contact then walked to the yard swing to hold the magazine, listen and be with this little bug of which I had been thinking.

Just Monday night I was contemplating fireflies and how their numbers seem to have diminished. They were abundant when I was a kid. Even now in my yard in the country I’ve only seen two thus far.  Are fireflies a casualty of decades of chemically laden lawns?

The shapes and colors on its head were the first thing that caught my eye.  The black area between the orange reminded me of the vesica piscis.   The vesica piscis is the oval shape formed when two circles slightly overlap.  In sacred geometry, this overlap represents the place of creation from which all other shapes and patterns in geometry come.*  I think of it as the place of the Unknown and found the firefly’s black oval perfect for representing the unknown void and the unseen dark matter through which quantum science suggests we are connected. 

At times I wonder if things like the firefly diminish because over time humankind forgets.  In our lives filled with technology and haste, do things of nature fade as we stop noticing and naming them? 

In terms of the Vesica Pisces, are fireflies dying, returning to the dark from which they came or do they wait in the dark hoping we will not forget them?  If fireflies were suddenly “trending” might those left roaming our yards feel our vibes, sense our texting and tweeting of them? Might they stay with us on Earth or think they were only a passing trend in our distracted lives?  Might those waiting in the dark feel us calling them forth?

As co-creators with the Divine, we’ve an untapped capacity for calling forth into form that which is needed.  Some might say fireflies are the least of needed things. I suggest we need them for their light in the night as well as for the wonder, curiosity and magic they evoke.  I need their blinking bodies as a reminder that I carry Light especially in what can feel like dark times within and without. 

Even the name "fire flies" connotes sparks of creation coming from the dark.

I didn’t place the fire fly on a specific place on the magazine.  It crawled to ‘fact and fiction’ and hung out for quite awhile as I wrote this. I felt like I was being reminded this is both fact and fiction for me, not one or the other.  It is a fact in my personal fiction that I need to be reminded over and over, again and again that if I am really going to grow and be who I came here to be then I must patiently and courageously sit in the unknown, listen and sense the stirring, the stirring of creation’s fire wanting to fly from my insides.  

We carry a creative capacity so much more profound than we realize. In this moment I imagine the shift of  letting fire fly. 
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 18 May 2012
* To learn more about Sacred Geometry, I highly recommend Michael Schneider's "Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe."

No comments: