Friday, April 1, 2011

Gifts of the Animals

(I reread this 2010 post this morning prior to going to the local fairgrounds to help with the puppies rescued by ARC (Animal Rescue Corps) earlier this week in a puppy mill in rural Warren County - 12o puppies in all I believe. I felt compelled to go after meeting the ARC folks last night synchronistically at dinner. Although the following was written last May, the message may apply more now than ever. - Dawn.)

Friday
evening I went to the public square to hear the symphony in a free concert graciously gifted to Nashville as the symphony hall had flooding problems. It was a gift for me in a way I never expected. As we spiraled down into the parking garage, I noticed a drawing of a bull’s head for the level in which we parked. I walked up the stairs and emerged onto the square to look down and see etched in the granite the figure of yes, a bull's head. Around it the word "Strength" was etched once on each side forming a box around the figure.

I remembered noticing the only other time I had been at the square a lion's head at the opposite end with the word "Protection" etched around it. I had been called to jury duty that day and took a photo of the lion as well as of the snake and lion figures around the top of the courthouse. Symbolically the snake has many meanings. I choose those related to wisdom, healing and transformation. The music played and I wondered how many noticed our companions the bull, the lion and snake offering strength and protection, wisdom, healing and transformation, traits carrying vital energies needed in any time but especially for Nashville and the world in these times!

The day after I stood in my kitchen making hamburgers and remembered the bull. I thought of all the cattle that give their lives for us. I thought of the mega-corporations making their billions while raising cattle so inhumanely, cattle that become our fast food burgers and 16 ounce steaks.
(Watch the movie, Food Inc. if you haven’t!) It occurred to me as never before that cattle come here in love and give themselves to us so we might have their 'strength.' We are given the gift of choice as to how we will use that strength.

Contrary to what many people think of cats, they have long represented the rising of the feminine offering protection. They have for centuries been considered guardians and represent deep understanding in the natural world. Yet they were killed thousands upon thousands in the coliseums of Rome and burned and drowned with their (usually) female owners accused of being witches in Europe and New England. Today they are still neglected, abused, tortured and hunted as trophies with their heads hung on walls.

How is it collective humankind so neglects the love the animals come here with ?
How is it we don't protect them as they protect, care for and nourish us?

"Mother, Father, Creator, we do not realize the gifts of your children the Animals. Forgive us for we know not what we do. May we shed our ignorant, arrogant ways like the snake sheds its skin. May we wisely use our strength and capacity to protect all your creeping, crawling, flying, swimming, walking, four-legged, feathered, furry, slimy, scaly, and yes two-legged kin."
-Dawn, The Good News Muse, 1 April 2011


No comments: