Sunday, March 7, 2010

Two Brief Ponderings on Birds & Falling Things

How is it a birds chance of surviving cats, squirrels, raccoons, hawks, windows and pesticides is slim yet they've roots in the late Jurassic period alongside the dinosaurs and we all know they didn't fare so well.

I read recently that many scientists now think a monster asteroid hit earth around Mexico causing the cataclysmic shift that did the dinosaurs in. I'm not as curious as to what killed the dinosaurs as to how it is birds lived.

I don't blame the dinosaurs for, "Drill, baby, drill" but I'd rather hear, "Fly, Dawn, Fly." I want to learn from the birds, fragile yet tenacious as they sing the sun up in morning and down each night. I want to take lessons from the birds connecting earth and sky with feathered flight.

**************
I look out the window and see a fallen limb. Lying on the ground it reminds me of antlers. The limb once belonged to a tree. The antlers would have graced a buck.

I think of men and women, who left to serve their countries and did not return. Their blood spilled on the earth in foreign lands yet Earth, She's never met a stranger. She is always taking in fallen things welcoming them home.

We may not yet be fallen, but we are all falling things. We are returning from whence we came. We are returning home.
-Dawn, The Good News Muse 03/07/10

No comments: