Monday, October 25, 2010

The Woman Who Buries Things

I am the woman who buries things. A fawn, a fox, many birds including a hawk, a butterfly, firefly, three June bugs, a squirrel, earthworms and a mouse one of my firsts. Just last weekend there was a raccoon.

My first was actually Templeton my cat of eighteen years. I held her in my arms for seven hours the day she died. After she passed I held her longer.

Why is it we are so quick to carry off the dead in their bodily form? How is it we allow others to swoop in and take them away when their spirits have just left, their bodies are still warm? My friend Nancy told me she and her family stayed with her father recently for three hours after he had died. I later said, "That's what I want. Someone around who isn't afraid of death but is willing to be with me or what's left of me on this plane even after I'm so called gone." I'm not convinced I'll really be gone.

At first I resisted the burials mentioned above. I didn't resist them as much as I dreaded the sadness they stirred. I didn't want to cry yet I answered a call as these animals showed up in my yard or in the road near my home.

I remember late this summer seeing a dead bird and instead of thinking 'Oh, no' I thought, 'I get to honor this bird.' I am slowly getting 'it.' The animals are also honoring me because they know as they're laid in Mother Earth, I'll thank them for coming here, for giving us the opportunity to hear.

I am the woman who buries things and each time I am given a gift, the gift of uncovering my long buried heart. What in your journey allows you to feel the uncovering of your heart?
-Dawn! The Good News Muse - 25 Oct. 2010

No comments: