Friday, August 20, 2010

Rose Petal Popsicles - Signs of Recovery

It began with a rose petal popsicle. Yes, you read that correctly, a creamy, pinkish Las Paletas popsicle filled with little flecks of red rose petals.

I read of rose popsicles during my drug induced phase of recovery, the phase for which I had not prepared. I was so awake and intentional prior to surgery and even immediately afterward, but the fog from anesthesia and meds that descended on Days 3-6 after surgery affecting me more psychologically than physically took me by surprise. Despite having lined up acupuncture as well as an assortment of drinks from the juicer to begin the healing, I wasn't prepared for the level of lethargy I felt. I pushed myself to walk a half mile each day to sweat out toxins, but once that goal was met I laid on the sofa staring wondering if my brain or oomph would ever return.

Sometime during this phase, I glimpsed a reference to rose petal popsicles and recall sensing they were necessary for recovery. Thus on Day 6 when my two favorite girls visited to regal me with their summer vacation stories, I asked if they thought we might take a field trip the following day.

They loved the idea so the three of us made our way to Las Paletas midst pouring rain thanks to my dear friend, their mom and the driver for our field trip. My partners in adventure had peanut butter, raspberry/peach and chocolate/chocolate as I savored what tasted like a cool, creamy rose birthing an inner ah, a sign of hoped for recovery.

The next day my camera insisted on being part of my walk. A sunflower two streets over had caught my eye on one of the earlier forced walks. This new day I walked past it and knew why it had spoken the day prior.

It reminded me of a great breast providing nourishment for a huddle of tiny bugs gathered in its center feeding on the last remaining seeds. I want to live each day feeling beautifully spent like this amazing plant providing sustenance, beauty and shade.

As the morning's walk continued, my sensory self gifted me with an awareness that she was still alive and well within as I noticed peppers, ginkgo leaves, grasses and zinnias, signs of Nature's continued capacity to recover midst summer's heat, providing me with an inner sense of recovery.



Color, pattern and texture - Nature's holy trinity feeds my senses and soul offering messages to turn and hold. I in turn feed Nature through ooohs and ahhs of gratitude and appreciation.

This is part of the beautiful cycle of heartful, artful living, this dance of the inner and outer, the same creative process that inspired a woman to create rose petal popsicles nourishing me as I envision my imaginings and Nature's images nourishing another.

By what are you fed? What do you in turn feed? Imagine the shift as we all become more conscious of this beautiful dance.
-Dawn! the Good News Muse, 20 August 2010
dawn@imaginetheshift.com

2 comments:

Duann Kier Sywanyk said...

Your photos take me right to where you were---in my body, mind and spirit. . . .

Gaea Yudron said...

Thank you for your beautiful posts following your surgery. I am glad to read of your progress. Rose petals in anything, especially the unlikely vehicle of a popsicle, are so healing. Take care of yourself and let the elusive words roll around in the landscape until they come to rest in you again. I find sadness is a frequent visitor in my heart lately. Loss and change and aging all bring sadness to my door at times. She wants to have a talk and some tea.