Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Returning to the Heart through Beauty


I could hardly complete my earlier walk due to snapping photos of nature dusted by a morning snow. I've been contemplating the conclusion of my last Musing. It went something like "with presence and mindfulness we can at any moment open to what and who we find in our heart and in doing so return the heart to the world."

After writing this, I found myself thinking about what that really means especially after coming across an interview on PBS about sex-trafficking and the billions made annually in trading women and children. What must the hearts of these people be like, those who are used and those who are the users and profiteers? What is the path of return to their hearts?

I suspect my morning's walk held a clue. Imagine the shift in the hearts of these people, those who buy and sell others, if they could appreciate the simple yet deep beauty in nature. I mean really see the colors, the textures and tones as well as hear the messages of the snow melting onto rock, the brillant blood-red berries juxtaposed to the pureness and innocence of white snow surrounded in life-filled leaves.
In this space and place of what feels like such heavy news, I draw inspiration on this winter's walk and that is Good News. Hold with me the many lives and hearts touched by human trafficking. May we all experience simple beauty and love.

No comments: